Unholy War XVIII: We'll fight, cos we ain't on the same side

Varlum, Vivian and Pigs, please.

This is a forum where you can put travel threads, wilderness threads not included in city forums and where you can find lore for cities without mods.

Moderator: Octopie

Vivian Shiryu
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: +125
Character Sheet
Secrets
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Re: Unholy War XVIII: We'll fight, cos we ain't on the same side

Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:34 pm

When the dark haired man stepped back, Vivian relaxed somewhat. She was still on guard, of course, but was no longer considering the two arrivals to be an active threat. However, the term used for her was confusing to her. They had called Valrum the son of turmoil and her the daughter of turmoil. The titles didn't mean a damn thing to her, but maybe Varlum knew. She'd have to ask him about that when they were finished with the current situation. Of course, she wasn't going to interrupt anything simply for the purpose of figuring out some title that evidently applied to her, so she remained silent as Vri and Ralaith explained what they had done together.

So Vri, who seemed to be rather ignorant of what Vivian thought were pretty clear concepts, had broken time to try and fix someone in the past. It was utterly stupid, the past could not and should not be changed. Every fairy tale with any form form of time travel made that pretty clear and she had those as a kid. Growing up was what had made the lesson stick, granted, but weren't Immortals supposed to be gods? Shouldn't they know things like that? Perhaps godhood was an overrated thing, but she was not stupid enough to say that to either of the two Immortals.

However, it appeared she wasn't the only one who thought the two Immortals had behaved like idiots. Faith, who appeared to have been pushed beyond a breaking point, stood up and starting tearing into the two Immortals like they were unruly, disobedient, and rather foolish children. Vivian had been on the recieving end of many such lectures herself. She hoped the two Immortals felt as shamed by it as she had when she was little. However, at the end of it, Vivian frowned slightly and turned to regard the two Immortals.

"A moment, Doctor." she said, before stepping forward a single step. "I know Mortalborn exist, the children of the Immortals." she said, her tone intent. "Do either of you have children?" she asked, her tone calm. When Vri said he did, Vivian nodded. "Then I do not, cannot, understand how you could be so cruel. Not to Ellasin, not even to Rose, but to Faith." she said, a note of severe anger in her voice. Vivian hated torturers, she really did, and that was this had been. Torture Worse even than when Cassander had done it, for these two were supposed to be gods, and the gods should know better than this. "When I was assigned to be Faith's bodyguard, I was given a very extensive file on her. Everything Rharne had, in fact. Having read it front to back, I can say with absolute certainty that she has gone above and beyond in every measure that one can. Part of that was, from what has been said here, in service to you." she said, her gaze now focused solely on Vri.

"Faith is a kinder person than I am. That she is still willing to serve you is a miracle, one I admit I don't understand. Because this, what you've done to her? This was torture. It wasn't just wrong, it wasn't even just cruel. For someone to torture someone who is loyal to them, who has every reason to expect kindness from them, to betray that trust. I've seen it before, from a Mortal king to his subjects, and it's the same now as it was then. This was an evil thing, and you should be grateful that she's willing to help heal you, much less still serve you. It's a kindness that you do not deserve." she said, stepping back so that she was standing beside Faith.

"It's your call, Doctor. I'll follow your lead." she said simply, showing where she stood. She didn't understand Faith's forgiveness, her willingness to help Vri heal. If Faith gave the order, Vivian would have run him through there and then. But she hadn't, because she was better than that. Vivian could respect that, because she knew that she had a darkness in her that Faith seemed to somehow lack. Hopefully, Faith could recover from what Vri had done to her.
word count: 731
Varlum
Approved Character
Renown: +82
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets

Events

Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:06 pm

Daughter of Turmoil.

That was one bombshell Varlum didn't need, not right now. But he chose to ignore it, for the time being. Both the Immortals in front of them spoke, then Faith, then Vivian. All the Ithecal could do was listen intently, waiting for the pieces of the puzzle to click. But they didn't, none of them did. Even in Faith's strong resolve, there were factors that Varlum couldn't wrap his head around. But for him, this had stopped being about Ellasin for a trill. Whatever happened with Ellasin would happen, whether it was a fight or something more. But Rose? Rose had one chance right now, one chance to have justice given to her after it was torn away from her with her family. Rose and Faith were all that mattered. If he could save them from pain, reunite two souls that had been ripped from each other's arms? Then Varlum would finally pay back the debt he owed to all those that helped him get Auya back. He would finally be able to give that back.

Vivian finished what she was saying and Varlum finally cleared his throat to get his chance to speak. As he did, he brushed his hand over Faith's arm and gently squeezed to reassure her. "Rose comes back" Varlum said with authority, as if he had a say in the matter. His eyes fell to Ralaith now. "You two have just made it clear you can do it. So there is no if. I want Rose back in this woman's arms, I want to visit her once this whole shit show with Ellasin is over and see her and her daughter together. That is my demand. It's not a question, it's not negotiable. That is what happens now, this trial."

Without a second of real pause, Varlum stepped forward and knelt down in front of both immortals, hand resting on Vri's face if the Immortal allowed it, almost comforting and supporting him. "You have helped me once before and it cost me nothing. I don't ask the same again from either of you. Whatever price it is, I will pay it. We will pay it. What that price is comes down to you. But let me make an offer in the least, one Faith might be a little more forgiving of" he said with a small smile back to the woman, knowing she would feel guilty beyond words if he was forgotten by the world just for her. But there was more to it than that now. Vivian, daughter of turmoil. Faldrun's child. Sister of Varlum Onarmus. That added a new layer to a person already worth protecting. She couldn't forget him yet. It wouldn't be right.

So as he made his offer, his eyes met Vri's and they remained kind. He was angry at what had been done to Faith's daughter but he, for the most part, understood it. "If my memories and life is what it takes so be it. If I have to take Rose's place in Ralaith's domain, then I'll do it. All I ask is the time to help Faith with Ellasin. But, instead, Faith mentioned servitude. A life she has lived in a way I will never understand. But the same can be said for my life too. I live to serve. A man writes the order to kill from behind the battlefield and when that bird flies in with a scroll, I kill. When I am told to protect people from a creature twice my size, I take a nearly lethal blow because I do what I am told. I don't hate it, I do it because I want it. But I am serving too. I serve Rharne, I serve the Wardens and the Lightning Knights."

"So I will serve you" he said, simply. "Personally. Not just as a follower, and not even as a marked. I'm not asking for power. That comes with time, if at all. But you, either or both of you, will have me at your side like Faith has now whenever you need it. Whatever you need it for. Here, in a domain somewhere. You will have my life in a way that will benefit everyone and detriment nobody. On the condition that Faith has her daughter back, and that my first order is to help her protect her family and handle Ellasin, however that comes to be. Until she relieves me of service, I am hers. Then, when this war is done, I am yours until the day I die. You give me a command and I will do it, even if that command is Arcs spent in your domain with you, to support you."

Varlum gave one glance to the bear with the same look in his eyes, yet kept his hands in place to support Vri. "All I ask is that you reunite family. You've done it now, today. Vivian and Varlum, children of Turmoil" he said with a small, heartfelt smile back to his sister, hoping she would quickly pick up on it. "So do it again."

word count: 881
Pig Boy
General Staff
Race: Prophet
Profession: Apprentice Staff
Renown: 0
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:28 pm

Ralaith held his silence through the speech of Faith, Vivian and Varlum. While they held him complicit in this travesty of manipulation and bungled attempt at time-twisting, he showed no remorse. Perhaps he thought this was all Vri. In any case, he held his tongue, and stayed outside the void they occupied, not yet seeing a point in intervening. He wanted to see how Vri would react to these charges.

Vri was silent as well, until Vivian appeared to strike a nerve, asking him if he had children. "They... They destroyed my daughter and son! Mortals!" His voice rose, the fracture scar in his chest vibrating and glowing as he rose to his full height. "And you! You dare hold me in contempt! I am grieving!"

He held out a long, gaunt finger at the three mortals before him, his face twisted in agony.

"Vivian Shiryu, Faith Augustin, Varlum! I curse you to walk Idalos, forgotten to all. You have angered a God today, and you, you will suffer the wages of blasphemy!"

So saying, he began to curse the three.

"And Faith Augustin, I hereby strip you of all my favor. You have sorely misused my blessing today, to satisfy the whims of a shade of a child. Yet you would stand in judgment before me... I..."

"Someone else stands in judgment over you, Brother." Said a voice from behind Vri. And standing within the void, Faith and the rest would find Pier and Pre. The twin Immortals gathered on either side of Vri, one smiling, the other solemn.

"You have no right to stand in judgment over these mortals. And you have sorely misused and twisted your own Domains. No more." Pier said solemnly.

"You ought to ask us first before doing something like this, next time Brother." Said Pre. "Perhaps delegate to a servant? Even so, I feel like your heart was in the right place here."

"Twisted by grief as it was." Pier frowned, "A servant is less likely to overstep as severely as you clearly have."

"I'm so proud of you little mortals. You've shown remarkable judgment and grasp of the truth, for such short-lived things." Pre smiled widely.

"Yet you ought to conduct yourself with more caution and manners, in dealing with powers beyond your ken." Pier frowned at Vivian in particular.

"Still, sister... Vivian specifically hit on something that I feel was very true. What our brother did, was incredibly evil."

"Never ascribe to Malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity." Pier murmured.

"Even so... I think we're in agreement. Vri is unfit to bestow his curse in this instance."

"As much as we two can agree."

"What say you Brother?" Pre asked of Vri.

Vri sighed, his stamina and spirit utterly spent in the first intonation of his curse. Finally, he shook his head. "No, no you're right. It has to stop. This meddling. I take it back, the curse. I was... intemperate. I'm sorry. I take it all back..."

The twins clapped then, and nodded at the mortals. "For your level-headed and appropriate judgment of our brother, we grant our blessing to you three." Pre beamed happily.

Pier cast a side-glance at her sister, "Aren't you forgetting? We've just granted our blessing to Faith Augustin. So..."

"Ah yes!"
 ! Message from: Pig Boy
Varlum and Vivian:

You've been granted the blessing of Pier and Pre, if you don't wish to refuse it.

This comes with the first three abilities of Gweliph:

This is the truth: (Minor) The Blessed is able to influence someone’s perception of truth. When looking at an individual, the Gwelliph must concentrate on the words they say. They then attempt to inject their own truth ~ be that of a person, situation, etc ~ into an individual before ending with, "This is the truth." If the character is successful in convincing the individual of their "truth", the individual will respond back by saying, "This is the truth." At this level, it is hard for the character to convince anyone of their "truths". It is recommended that characters start with small forms of manipulation such as, "You want to buy me an ale, this is the truth." If the words the Gwelliph speaks are true to them, this strengthens the ability; at Favored this ability only works with statements which are true to the Gwelliph and can be deflected with expert level of meditation, deception, or discipline. When the Gwlliph reaches Adored, they can work in less absolute truths, and can only be defended against by someone of Master levels skill. Exalted Gwelliph can impart truth or lies with equal strength and the Champion of Pier and Pre may only be resisted by someone with Grandmaster levels of skill. When using this ability over the course of several days, the character will become mentally exhausted. Continued use will deteriorate the mental health of the character until they began to confuse their forced truths with reality.

Justified Skills The character is granted an extra three skill points which may be spent only on the following skills: Persuasion, Detection, or Investigation. Any skill points granted by this Mark can break the 250 (or 100 if fast track) point cap on skills. Within these skills, the points may be spent how the pc chooses.

Hear No Evil This ability allows the character to decipher what is the truth and what are lies when communicating with other individuals. Regardless of language, the character will be able to tell lie from truth when they concentrate on the words someone else is saying. This is a kind of sense that the mark grants the character, the exact sensation of which is up to the PC. However, this sense has little effect on the dead or Wisps. This ability cannot work if the speaker is convinced of the lie itself. At Favored, the PC can be fooled by Expert levels of Deception. At Adored, it takes Master and Exalted are only blinded by those with Grandmaster of Deception. The ability is activated by the Blessed’s intent, and so happens immediately, and lasts for a break.

Faith: You've been granted the next three powers of Gweliph.

Self Reflection Upon being granted this ability, the Gwelliph may dedicate a mirror to the twins and may use this to commune with the “essence” of the Immortals. While looking into the mirror, when faced with a decision, the Blessed speaks, apparently to their own reflection. This then replies and they are able to discuss with another how they should approach a situation. The “reflected self” is often quite opposite to the Blessed, reminiscent of how the twins themselves are. Should the mirror be broken, the Blessed may dedicate another ~ only one mirror may be in effect at any time.

Show Yourself When this ability is used the eyes of the blessed turn a weird mesh of black and white, making it hard to hide. When thinking of a victim of any kind of abuse, attack or crime which the marked is aware of (they must know at least basic details), they sees a glowing red trail to the victim of that crime. This might lead the marked to a missing person, the owner of stolen property or to the body of a victim of a hidden murder. If the victim can not be found (perhaps their body has been destroyed, for example) the trail will take them to where the victim last was. The glowing red trail does not, however, take into account the environment and so is always in a single straight line directly towards the victim. There is no time limit on how long ago this crime was committed. This ability may be used once a trial and will last until the victim is found or the search abandoned. No more than three of these may be active at any one time at Favored, five at Adored and seven at Exalted.

Equality of Treatment It is the duty of the Gwelliph to impart punishment upon those that have committed actions which go against the moral code the Gwelliph embodies. This does not necessarily mean that a crime has been committed but that the target of this ability has does something that the Gwelliph deems a sin or is not in line with their morality. The Blessed must make physical contact with the target in order to impart the effect of this ability, which may be used once a trial. Once touched a punishment will be dealt. This punishment is up to the Blessed, although at this level it will be no more severe than physical discomfort (pain, high fever, etc), physical restraint (such as being unable to move out of a small room that the Blessed has selected for a short period of time), or emotional discomfort (such as overwhelming feelings of remorse). The punishment is such that it would require expert levels of Discipline or Endurance to resist, and even then the target would be significantly affected by the punishment. The Blessed can determine how long it lasts, to a maximum of one break (Favored), ten breaks (Adored), one trial (Exalted) or up to five trials for the Champion.
"Now... That's done. What shall we do about the circumstance that brought about this whole, debacle?"

"Hmm... Good question." Pre praised her sister. Then she turned toward the three Mortals. "Time to prove your mettle, and see if you really have earned our blessing."

Pier sighed, "What do you think would make this situation better. Be very careful in your answer. Powers far beyond you hang in the balance."

"So very dramatic sister." Pre stuck out her tongue at Pier, then turned back toward the mortals. "Take your time, no pressure."
word count: 1638
"In Play by Posting Role Playing, inaccurate and inconsistent lore is considered especially heinous.
On Standing Trials, the dedicated investigators who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Lore Analysis Unit.
These are their stories..."
Varlum
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets

Events

Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:19 pm

Varlum and Ralaith, suddenly, had a lot in common.

As Vri clearly showed signs of other emotions, Varlum kept himself back for a trill, almost away from the whole situation. Part of it was observation, part of it was more than that. Anger and hurt, feeling as if time had been wasted. Vri had just looked at him and threatened to curse him, promised nobody would remember him. After Varlum had held his cheek, thanked him for everything that he had done, offered to spend his life serving him. Because he hadn't liked what Vivian had said. But a line had been crossed with more than just a threat. 'You have sorely misused my blessing today, to satisfy the whims of a shade of a child'. Varlum, at those words, felt a snarl build in his mouth. If Vri was anyone other than the Immortal of Sadness, if he had been a mortal man that was drunk and making threats and comments, Varlum would already be cleaning up what was left of him.

"A shade of a child because you misused her."

Pier and Pre had said their piece, even offered their blessing, and Varlum had not focused on any of it. That one comment stuck in his head, gnawing at him. Yet he acknowledged the two, eyes meeting them both as politely as he could with the flame of Faldrun starting to spark in him. He would earn the domain Violence if this trial continued as it did. "There is nothing level headed in my judgement of your brother. I appreciate your blessing, but I decline it. If I can repay you in another way for what you do to help us now I will. But I don't deserve, or desire, that blessing - and I hope you don't take offence to it. But my judgement would be flawed if I took a blessing with no desire to do so. That much I'm sure you understand."

Then, the spark becoming a fire and the anger growing, Varlum looked to Vri. "I understand grieving. Truly, I do. You ought to know. What you saw of Auya was one of many situations this past Arc that I have lost someone dear to me. The axe I bring with me was made by a man who died trying to keep me safe, when it was my job to protect him. I failed. So when I got back to Rharne, eight people dead because of my failure, do you know what happened?" he asked, eyes looking to all Immortals now. "I was met at the Gates by Lightning Knights, ready and armed to fight me if I didn't come with them. Because word had gotten out of my father, who I had not known until an interrogator told me. The Knights had been told by an informant that, I Varlum Onarmus, was the son of Faldrun. So my time grieving was spent being asked questions, proving my loyalty, reminding them of the battles I fought for them against Faldrun's army. And every patrol I went on since had at least one other man with me to keep an eye on me. Then Auya happened and I nearly lost her too."

"I held your face and you threaten me? I offer to serve you, both of you, for the rest of my life - and you threaten me? Out of grief, out of despair? Is that what your domains fall down to?" he said, glancing to the two at his side for a moment and taking a trill to stop what more he wanted to say. This wasn't about proving Vri wrong, this wasn't about Varlum or Vri at all. So he took a deep inhale and calmed himself, the air in his lungs dispelling as much of the fire as he could for now. But anger like this would come back. He just had to wait, until the time was right. Until someone was stood in his way that he could let the anger out on, someone who couldn't curse him for eternity or leave him for dead. Those were normally the people worth punching.

"I want Rose back. That is my one condition. I want her back, entirely, no strings attached. So that mother and daughter can be together without Immortals twisting the strings. Just a girl and her mother" he said to the two Immortals and then, looking directly to the bear. "You said yourself, you didn't agree with what happened here. You have the power to undo it - and you have the offer to make it worth it. I offered you everything I have. If not one of you can make this right, then I don't know what else to ask of you. But you, all of you, owe it to Faith Augustin - and the world owes her a lot as it is."

After a trill of silence, Varlum placed himself back into the fold and stood beside Faith, almost shielding her from the side as his hand rested on her shoulder. "I stand by the vows I make, and I vowed to do whatever was best for Faith the day I became a part of her army. So if that means today I leave here with a curse, because you feel disrespected, then curse me now and get it over with. But give your follower what she is owed, or you are worse than our real enemy and have taken away more than Ellasin ever could, and that is not the Vri I would die to protect because of what he did for Auya. Show me that Vri again, don't let yourself be swallowed by Grief. Grow from it, with us. Not against us."
word count: 973
Vivian Shiryu
Approved Character
Renown: +125
Character Sheet
Secrets
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:38 pm

Vivian having still been ready for action proved fortuitious when Vri reacted rather poorly to having his poor behavior explained to him, though she was far from certain what Varlum had done to deserve such treatment. But when a god was throwing a fit, she supposed everyone was fair game, much in the same way everyone was fair game when a child was throwing a fit. However, she was not particularly inclined to just stand around and let Vri curse them without taking any action. She gathered lightning under her feet, a process that took a moments concentration, then lept forward. She had been slightly off center from Vri, and he was more than ten feet away regardless, so her first leap wouldn't reach him. But her second would, and she would do everything we could to stop this Immortal from cursing the people under her protection.

Just as she had fought Raskalarn all those centuries ago.

The thought came into her mind unbidden, for there was no memory attached to it, and while she knew who Raskalarn was, since Rharne and the Eternal Empire shared a border, she had never fought the one called the Divine Empress. If someone were to ask her, she could not have said where the thought had come from, she just knew that it came to her. For a moment, the others would see the image a large black ithecal overlayed over Vivian herself before she lept forward, drawing her sword as she did. When she landed, she had changed, putting on an additional two feet of height, growing a tail, and now carrying a broadaxe instead of a sword. Fortunately, her clothing and armor had changed to accommodate the new form, but it still threw her off balance, the new shift surprising her enough that she stopped in surprise.

By the time she had recovered, Vri had been shut down by beings far more powerful than her. No matter how much she wanted to continue the fight, it was over. Vri was done, and to push farther would be attack what appeared to be allies. It was harder than she anticipated, backing down from attacking Vri, and she thought it was to do with this new form. She focused on herself, as she normally was, gathered lightning under feet again, and jumped back so that she was back next to Faith and Varlum. Just before the jump, the overlay of the black ithecal appeared around her again, and when she landed back next to the other two, she was once again fully herself.

She felt overcharged, though, like the lightning from Palenon was coursing through her blood. She dropped to one knee as her body caught up to whatever had just happened to her. She stayed there as she process what the two new Immortals, whose names she did not know, basically told Vri to behave himself. She nodded at the comment that her manners could be improved, but otherwise didn't speak until the two Immortals granted the three of them their blessing, or in Faith's case, appeared to upgrade it.

Then the Immortals asked them what they thought should be done. Varlum seemed keen to speak, and Vivian let her squire go first as she recovered, getting back to her feet and sheathing her sword as the overcharged feeling finally calmed down. However, she turned sharply to look at Varlum when he said that he was a Mortalborn of Faldrun. When he said that, she recalled Faldrun's Domains, most prominetly, his Turmoil Domain. And Varlum had said they had reunited family, the "Children of Turmoil". If all that were true, that would make her, biologically, Faldrun's daughter as well.

She let that process as Varlum finished his speech. It would explain why she had turned into a weird half-ithecal thing if she were Mortalborn. And being illegitimate might also explain why the Warrick's had been so ready to cast her out the first chance she got. The more she thought about it, the more it made sense. And the more it made sense, the less it actually mattered to her. She was Shiryu, not Warrick or Faldrunsdotter or whatever that family name would be. Her Reforging had burned away the weak Warrick bloodline she had once shared. In her mind, Faldrun was just another such weak bloodline that had been purged. Being related to Varlum was nice though, another connection to her old student.

When Varlum finished though, she smiled at him. "They thought Faldrun had any hold over you? Stupid of them. He has no more hold on you than on me." she said, before she turned to the Immortals and bowed towards Pier and Pre. "Please accept my apologies for my lack of tact. I can only say that I am trained as interrogator and it gets the better of me at times. I thank you for your trust in my judgement, and I will prove myself worthy of your Blessing." she said, before she straightened up and gave Vri a considering look.

"Varlum is right, if Rose can be restored to Faith, it would go a long way towards making things right. I do not pretend to know enough about such things to know whether it is possible or not, though. Knowing what changes this had on Ellasin, how it made her worse, would also help, but that may also be a selfish request, being that the three of us are at war with her." she said, before letting out a sigh. "I apologize if this, again, comes off as rude. But you said you were greiving for the loss of your children. I have children myself, I cannot begin to imagine the pain I would feel were they lost to me, but..." she said, and gestured to Faith. "She is mourning the loss of a child as well, a wound re-opened and made worse by what was done. And through that pain, she was kind to you, the cause of her pain. Or at least, so it seems to me." she said, before letting out a sigh.

"A hurt like this, once done, cannot be fully undone. I do not catch criminals so that the hurt they caused will be undone, but so that no further harm will come of their actions." she said, before smiling slightly. "I do not consider you a criminal, but whether Rose can or cannot be restored, what is perhaps best for all involved, yourself included, is that such mistakes are prevented in the future." she said, before pausing again and nodding her herself before she continued. "Power of any sort allows one to do things that others cannot, but it also creates a...disconnect. For someone with great power, the pain of something they cannot effect with all their power causes a more extreme reaction than the pain of someone with no power at all, even if it is the exact same pain." she said, before spreading her hands as she made her suggestion. "I do not suggest that you should give up your powers or abandon your duties as an Immortal, for I know the latter at least must be heavy indeed. Instead, I suggest that you live among Mortals for a time and learn to grieve as we do, and more importantly, learn to handle it was we do. Those of us with no power must be restrained in our grieving, for we have no other option. It is my thought that learning such restraint may prevent such tragedies from coming to pass in the future." she said, before she looked at the dust that had once been Rose.

"For the moment though, if nothing else can be done, allow Faith and Rose a more proper farewell, that they might both be allowed closure." she said, stepping back and giving a silent prayer to Ilaren that she hadn't somehow managed to offend more Immortals.
word count: 1340
Faith Augustin
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: +1000 +
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:50 pm

to satisfy the whims of a shade of a child

At those words, Faith's shaking stopped, her trembling ceased and she looked at Vri with a complete lack of comprehension. It was cruel, his words were cruel and she had never known him to be such. Then, Pier and Pre came forward and Faith wondered, looking between the siblings who spoke. Vri breathed out and Faith saw in him a soul who was hurting. Genuinely, absolutely, without question hurting. Pushing her own grief to one side, she moved and knelt in front of him as he breathed out and admitted that he was wrong. Taking his hands in hers, Faith looked at the Immortal and she tried to smile, albeit a slight and poor shadow of her usual. "It's alright. You're hurting." She held on to his hands and spoke, quietly. Her voice was a whisper, but it didn't need to be louder - it was just for him, after all. "You lost your child. There is no pain like it. It's alright, really." Forgiveness came quickly, immediately, to the young woman, and she could not bear to see a soul in pain.

And then, Pier and Pre spoke, and Faith inclined her head to them. "Thank you. I will endeavour to always serve you to my best." Yet. There was something.

Something which was niggling at the back of her mind. So, Faith held on to Vri's hands and she listened to Varlum and Vivian. She looked at the two of them and she smiled - a most genuine smile lifting her tear-stained expression. "I can't tell you how grateful I am to you. Both of you. For your sacrifice, your stalwart natures and clear, absolute determination to do what's right." She smiled at them both, and then said the word which somehow tumbled from her mouth. Her heart shattered into a thousand pieces at the single syllable.

"But,"

Her mind was racing. The selfish aspect of her personality ~ and it was there ~ wanted to ask for Rose, wanted to go home and be happy with her husband. But life wasn't like that and Faith knew it. So, she turned to Pier and Pre. "But the focus can't... oh, please believe me how much I want it. But I stood before you both before, and said 'there's something wrong', and I say the same thing now." Faith lifted herself up to a standing position, and she looked around. "Immortals and mortals. Different, in all ways. They ... you... are our creators." This was well-known and obvious. "And I want.. oh, I can't tell you how much I want to beg you to bring my baby back to me. But, something here isn't right. The Immortal of Sorrow is grieving and not able to contain it?" Faith shook her head. "He's Fracturing. None of this is right."

She had no forethought here, she was simply speaking. "Apparently, this is the Truthblade. Made by you both, in order that the Champion of Famula might see the truth? The Immortal of Death, of Sorrow, of Love and Remembrance is grieving, and that's not right. He's fracturing and we are focusing on Rose and Ellasin. I love my daughter. I will love her until my dying breath and far, far beyond it. But she's gone. Aelig did that, and I learned to live in a world where that happened. As for Ellasin?" Faith smiled a tight, humourless smile. "She is mortal. I would like your help to defeat her, but this, right here and right now, this requires you."

At no point had Faith let go of Vri's hands. "One of your own is hurt. To the four of you. Ralaith, Pier, Pre, and Aeva, I beseech you. We need to help him, lest death and sorrow, love and remembrance suffer all over Idalos. My lord.. if it helps?"

And for reasons which she did not understand, and could not explain, Faith offered the Truthblade to Vri. Somehow, she got the feeling that he needed it.

word count: 698
"Every evil has its good, and every ill an antidote."

~ Rharne HQ
Dust Quarter Satellite Clinic ~ Order of the Adunih~Soup Kitchen & Community Center
Pig Boy
General Staff
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:46 am

Vri was silent for much of the rest of the children of Turmoil's speech against him. Pre and Pier looked fondly at Varlum as he refused their gift.

Pre nodded, "We appreciate your candor."

Pier for once, agreed with her sister, "Honesty is the best policy afterall..."

Thus with a wave of their hand, they removed their blessing from Varlum, as he wished. And as they did so, he would henceforth find himself incapable of speaking falsehoods:
Hated of Gwelliph:

The first level of the curse of Gwelliph is simple. The cursed can not lie, not even a small lie. Whenever they are asked a direct question, they are compelled to answer it and that answer is always honest. This is a verbal impact only and lies may still be written down, etc.
Then Vivian went into her apology toward the twins, which earned a shrug from each of them. They looked to Vri when she began to address him, and tell him how he might conduct himself in the future. He seemed to have lost all appetite for retaliation after his final exhalation of grief.

"Yes... I will, I will. I have misused my Domain. Perhaps there is more the Mortals can teach me..." He murmured back, sadly.

"As for Rose, I..." He frowned, "I haven't the power left to spare to bring her back. There's but one who yet may." Here, Vri looked meaningfully at Faith. He didn't tell her what he meant by it, however.

Finally it was Faith's turn to confront Vri. After his last glance in her direction, as she approached him, he averted his eyes. He couldn't avoid the source of his newfound sorrow, the great wrong he'd done. Sorrow compounded itself, with grief upon mourning.

His heart nearly cracked when she uttered the word "But."

She went into her statement of concern for Vri, before Rose, before anyone else. She was still devoted to him, after all of this? Vri didn't know what to do with it. What to say, or what to do.

"I cannot do anything to Ellasin, she is beyond me..." Vri said.

Then she finished by asking all the other immortals present, and Aeva, if they could in anyway help Vri. At the last moment, she offered the Truthblade to Vri, handle first. He looked at it, in a moment his eyes were feverish.

Before any of the Immortals could intervene, he took Faith's hands that held out the truthblade, and turned them around. In that moment he did not see the Truthblade, for only the chosen of Famula could see the Truthblade for what it was. Even Vri, who had a hand in its making could not see what it was. All he saw in that moment, was a simple weapon.

And he intended to make simple use of it.

As he turned around Faith's hands, he thrust the point of the gladius into his heart fracture. For a moment a look of relief washed over his face. He thought there would be no more pain, no more worrying, no more death.

Then, something strange, as if any of this wasn't strange, began to happen. Bits of metal began to break off from the edge and surface of the Truthblade. The sword began fracturing itself, absorbing the damage done to Vri. As the Euvomite dust began to drift from the metal imbedded deep in the Truthblade, it began restoring itself to the Immortal from whence it came.

Thus, the fracturing began to heal, and in moments the fracture scars closed up. Not entirely healed, but no longer killing him. Vri had been healed.

The Truthblade fell to the floor when Vri came to discover what he'd done. Thus, its integral components compromised, it shattered into shards of immortal metals, broken entirely. Its power spent to restore life to the Immortal that had taken helped contribute materials to craft it.

In a moment, the truth came to Vivian, Varlum, and Faith, and they realized that those Euvomite shards were given by Vri long ago, to craft the Truthblade. Now they returned to restore his broken vitality, so he could begin healing in truth.

Pre pouted, "Our pretty blade has served its purpose I suppose..."

Pier scowled, "but at what cost? For this, Vri must attone for his sins, as Vivian suggested."

"We recommend..."

"We demand that you seek out professional Help, Vri. Immediately. We know of one who is very discrete and will care for you well. In the meantime, you must avoid using your power, marking new mortals, until you've come to your senses."

"Poor silly brother. Trying to hurt himself..."

"Foolish, brother." Pier agreed.

Shamed and humiliated beyond comprehension, Vri turned aside from them all, and disappeared.

Leaving Vivian, Varlum, and Faith with no company apart from Ralaith, Pier, and Pre.

word count: 817
"In Play by Posting Role Playing, inaccurate and inconsistent lore is considered especially heinous.
On Standing Trials, the dedicated investigators who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Lore Analysis Unit.
Varlum
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets

Events

Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:03 pm

A lot happened at once when Vri began cursing them. But the piece that stood out the most to him was his sister. Vivian. At least, he could assume that was his sister as she leapt forward for Vri and the black form of an Ithecal around her appeared, changing her shape for a moment until she leapt back and called off her attack. The Ithecal glanced to her with a small look of awe, but it made sense. Varlum had the power to wrap a spiritual, draconic Ithecal around himself and use it to rend flesh. Perhaps she had a power similar because of their shared heritage. They would definitely need to talk once this was over.

Varlum gave a polite nod to both Pier and Pre as they removed his blessing, unknowingly accepting a curse as he did. "Thank you. Should the day come I earn that blessing, I look forward to accepting it."

Then the Ithecal let himself stay silent and watched the rest of the situation unfurl - and Varlum wasn't sure if he was impressed or angry. Faith was a beautiful person, inside and out. Her willingness to forgive and to love made Varlum, a man who spent his life trying to protect the world, look like a merciless killer. She forgave Vri after all of today, forgave everyone and even gave up the priority of her daughter. That was what amazed Varlum. But what angered him? Rose was still not here, they had no truth blade anymore and they weren't a step closer to fighting Ellasin. Varlum didn't want to hear there was 'one' who could bring Rose back. He wanted to know who and to find them, to have the situation resolved not left on another riddle. There was no denying that, to Faith and the Immortals, Vri healing was a perk that none of them could have likely imagined. But if he had healed a trial prior then they would all be walking with curses. How Vri healed meant nothing to Varlum now, not really. Not until he offered them all help in the war, for someone to help them in this war.

Until someone stopped playing the puppet game.

Soon enough, Vri had left the place, leaving the three other Immortals and the three mortals in front of them. Two marked by Pier and Pre and one cursed, facing those same twins and Ralaith who had mostly remained silent. "Which 'one' can bring Rose back?" the Ithecal asked, masking as best he could the patience fading away from him. "I offered everything to Vri and he was willing to take it. Ralaith even said, when I made that offer and Vri said Ellasin was beyond us that was not inherently true. 'Perhaps not, fool'. Something like that at least. That means that my offer stands, that means you or someone can do something" he said with a quiet tone, though anyone with enough detection would notice as he shook so subtly yet so angrily. This trial had been an injustice to everyone aside from the Immortals in front of them, who had dished out punishment after punishment to the men and women trying to save this world from Ellasin.

"Faith gave up the truthblade for Vri, more than any other follower of any Immortal I know would do. She deserves something good of this trial, something that isn't a loss. Forgive me if I don't think that saving the man who would have happily cursed us all if he hadn't been too weak is a victory, and losing our biggest clue and potential weapon towards Ellasin isn't exactly a strength either. I don't want to walk out of this place having gained nothing but a blessing for two people, one of which has also been cursed in this forsaken place over an issue of pride. The same reason all of us almost got cursed. Someone felt insulted" he growled at the last piece, still feeling bitterly towards any Immortal cursing his friend, even if she had lost herself to the mirror. Aeva hadn't cared about Vivian losing herself, Aeva had cared about her own pride being ignored. She had even said so. None of what these Immortals did was with care for the mortals in front of them. It was all about them.

"I feel insulted, and I don't have the power to curse anyone of you, nor would I if I had that chance. Because it is cruel and it has been hung over our heads like a dagger. As if we aren't the people here to clean up a mess we didn't even make. So we're beaten with our own brooms while we're supposed to keep working. We need help, not anything else. Not more threats, not more cursing, not another fucking riddle. We need some help" he said, his anger breaking through and shattering what mask he had. "If I'm not going to find any help here, I'm going to start looking for somewhere I can. If that offends you so dearly, every Immortal in Idalos can curse me if it makes you so fucking happy. But know that each curse you put on us is a new weakness for Ellasin to exploit, and when she is done wiping the floor with us because of your pride?"

"I hope you personally watch every man, woman and child killed - because that falls on the people that refused us. Not the people who died trying."

word count: 938
Faith Augustin
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: +1000 +
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:19 pm

Faith was getting a headache.

Vri used her to try and kill himself, then the doing of that healed him and the twins told him off, and he went on his way. Faith knelt and picked up the shards of the truthblade, praying to Famula for forgiveness, if she had done the wrong thing. Varlum refused the blessing and, on the surface of it, Pier and Pre seemed to accept that with good grace. Varlum was consistent, polite, and his reasoning was clear. He continued to be so. But as he spoke, Faith glanced at the ithecal and one eyebrow raised as she spotted something. Faith frowned as she looked and then, once Vri had gone, she turned back to the twins. "I'm sorry, I have to ask this. Have you just cursed Varlum?"

The twin Immortals confirmed that yes, they had, and Faith lifted a hand to her temple. "Why?" Faith asked, simply. "I understand that emotions are high and you are, rightly, concerned for your brother, but to refuse a blessing for those reasons is not a slight, is it? He has been polite, honest, and a stalwart to our cause." Faith moved to stand next to the ithecal. Not least because she thought that she might need to stop him from charging, but actually also because this was ....

Faith turned back to look at the Immortals. Something resembling understanding hit her and, of all things, Faith smiled at him. "I believe we've just been given a ... Varlum, this is a prayer stone. You can use it to store the powers of blessings and curses. The curse which the twins here have just given you would be ~ will be enormously helpful if we can use it against Ellasin. It will force her to tell the truth. Please, put it in there. It might well be a weapon." Faith hoped that this was why they had done it. By all the Immortals she did. Looking at them, she tried to gauge if she was right or not. "The curse isn't active, yet, but you should be able to do it." Faith said to Varlum and then spoke, once more to the twins.

"That curse will be useful if we can use it on our enemies. It would, though, very detrimental to us were Varlum to have it." He'd become their greatest weakness. She sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. "Vri knew that the blade wouldn't kill him, and I suspect you know that, too. Immortals can only be killed by mortal intent, and I held no such intent, even as he took the blade. Thus far, it seems that this is simply smoke and mirrors, and I am tired and emotional and confused. Please. The three of you - four of you, Lady of the Forge, should you still be here." Faith looked at them, and spoke in a voice which told the truth of her words.

"I'm exhausted. Terrified. And my heart is broken. I'm just one mortal soul and that was my daughter. My daughter. I have been most cruelly played with here. Please, if you intend to help us, please do. If you can and will, please tell us the situation with Ellasin, what it is that she wants, and anything, anything that might help. " Faith's hand on Varlum's arm tightened and he felt just how close she came to just falling, once more, to her knees. "I don't know how else to say it. Please." More than anything Faith wanted to just curl into a ball and sob, but she did not. Because at some point, one of these Immortals might actually give them some information.

word count: 630
"Every evil has its good, and every ill an antidote."

~ Rharne HQ
Dust Quarter Satellite Clinic ~ Order of the Adunih~Soup Kitchen & Community Center
Pig Boy
General Staff
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:26 pm

"There are a number of ways." Pier said, in response to Varlum's query about how to bring Rose back. "But the point is moot, since Vri's wound has been healed. Her memory has been restored to him with that, at least. So a remnant remains."

"Vri is in no shape to grant much of anything now. He needs time." Pier continued.

Pre interjected, turning to Faith, "There's a certain stone you know of. In the instant it was spotted, a wish long standing was made manifest. You ought to visit your Rose garden on the 69th of Ymiden. On the holy day of Aìdá adugbo. There you'll find the gift of your union to Padraig, as Moseke found the gift of her union to Ymiden in the tunawa."

Pier continued fixing Varlum in her stare, "Vri isn't in a frame of mind to be grateful right now. I hope you understand, and don't feel insulted by anything that he's said or done here. He needs time to return to himself. He's been sorely taxed these past few cycles."

"We don't believe his heart was in the things he said." Pre chimed in.

Then the question came from Faith, regarding the curse that was on Varlum, in the form of eyelids that had not yet opened or activated. "Yes we did. You have the means to remove and redirect it, do you not?"

"I must apologize," Pre began, "We should have warned you first, or at least asked. But yes that Prayer Stone should be useful to use against the enemy."

Pier nodded, "Yes, you may use it as you wish."

Ralaith was grumbling, redfaced from beyond the void. For a moment it looked as if he would throw up his arms, until he wandered into their midst, and the great bear put a large mitt on Varlum's shoulder. "I did mention there's a means that might result in defeat for Ellasin. It's a device, beyond me to retrieve, but a mortal agent might be able to. I thought to inform Alistair Venora, back then, thinking he might be the savior we were looking for. But I was terribly wrong." He said the last part bitterly. "The device is Jyvran's device. He was my brother, before he died, many ages ago. It was a trinket that could return a person to their natural state. To dissect the most central part of any mortal and purify them. I will guide you to it, when you wish to undertake the journey."

"You have shown great restraint and wisdom, Ithecal, and may leave with my blessing, should you wish, but I will help you find this device whatever comes. I won't curse you should you refuse my blessing." He gave Pier a dirty look, then patted Varlum's shoulder, "I at least will respect your right to choose."

Ralaith turned to Vivian then, and gave her a look in the eyes, tilting his head curiously with a curious expression. "Was that Aeva? I'd better not test her patience, in removing the curse, but I do have something that may help..."

Thus, Ralaith produced a pair of spectacles out of his hand, which he handed to Vivian. "This should do for the eyesight problem. Can't have one of the General's deputies lacking clarity of vision."
word count: 568

Return to “Western Heights”